Saturday, 15 September 2012

A Curly Up-do Tutorial!

Hi lovelies!
This is a quick picture tutorial on how I get my hair into this cute updo - it's very simple and only takes around 20 minutes when you know what you're doing :)


You'll need -

  • Curling iron/tongs/straighteners to curl with 
  • Around 20 bobby pins
  • A strong hold hairspray
  • A headscarf or bandana


To begin - on freshly washed or day-old hair, section your hair off and curl into tight curls, with the curl as close to your roots as you can go - this is important for volume and to make sure it doesn't look straight when you've scraped it all up! I use my GHD IV stylers to curl my hair but you can use anything as long as it creates a tight curl!


Once your hair is all curled, you can spray it a little with hairspray to make sure your hot curls don't drop. (Usually to make sure this doesn't happen I would pin curl them to set them really tight but when I'm pinning them up I don't bother) You can then start to pin! Grabbing sections of curls, (and make sure you're not doing this neatly because it won't look as good) pin them by pushing the curls back on themselves to create a bouffant and spray with hairspray to set them in place. Do this around your head until every section is securely pinned, pulling out random curls and pinning them over themselves in order to create a bit more volume. This is the result - 

From left to right - Pinning and re-pinning messy bits to make sure every bit is up, pulling down curls and styling it to create a pretty up-do and finally, it's ready for spraying!

I've kept my fringe down because I like the way it looks with a headscarf, but if you don't have a fringe or if you have a longer fringe - you can backcomb it and pin it back to create a quiff at the front which adds to the look! Once everything is pinned and you're happy with your up-do, spray your whole head with hairspray. This is mega important because the curls won't stay put otherwise!

Now you're ready for your scarf/bandana! Roll it up from the edges to ensure it's a strip to you around your head and tie at the top - I always unfold mine a little once it's on my head to make it look thicker and then obviously you need to pin it above your ears so it doesn't fall off! 

I hope you guys have enjoyed my tutorial and I hope some of you try it! 
Any other hair looks you would like a tutorial for? No problem, just let me know! 
Hope you're all well! 
Jennifer xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think and feel free to comment with your blog links if you would like me to check it out, I'm always up for following new people!
Thanks :) xo